George Mason University “Mason Nation Project” Twitter Takeover Guidelines for @GeorgeMasonU
Congratulations! You’re an official tweeter for George Mason University for one week. You are scheduled to tweet from [Date] to [Date]
The tone of the feed is positive, welcoming, friendly, and informative. This Twitter account is about your experiences at George Mason University in your voice. Due to the high-profile nature of this Twitter account, there are a few ground rules:
- Keep in mind that everything you do in this account is a direct representation of George Mason University, as well as yourself. You should take extra care in creating all content you post. Respect is of the utmost importance.
- Do not change or modify the account in any way during your week. This includes, but is not limited to, the account username and password, cover image, profile image, grant permission to third-party applications (e.g. Tweetdeck, Instagram, etc.).
- Think before you tweet! Be aware that if your content can be taken out of context, if you have to question it – you probably should not tweet it.
- Think: “draft twice, post once.” If the meaning of your post is not explicitly clear (if it’s an inside joke or situation post that a lot of readers wouldn’t understand), it might be better for your personal account than the @GeorgeMasonU account.
- Make sure there are no grammar or spelling errors, please tweet in English.
- Be mindful of posting patterns: avoid over- or under-sharing.
- Use the best discretion when it comes to self-promotion. There has to be a balance of both personalized content and representative content. If you want to talk about cool events you or your organization is involved with, please do! However, it cannot be a straight week of self-promotion! Maintain a proper combination of showing what you are involved in and writing clever, excited tweets about the Mason Nation!
- Absolutely NO offensive content and/or language, slurs, rude or taunting tweets, or references to any drinking (even if legal) or drug use.
George Mason University’s social media team will be monitoring and moderating all tweets on this account, and has the right to delete anything deemed inappropriate, or revoke tweeter status at anytime. If any of these rules are broken, you run the risk of being removed from the account.
Please Note: On rare occasions we many need to adjust your week due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. prolonged snowstorm, University events, etc.). If this were to happen, you might request an additional week to tweet.
Basic Ideas for Great Tweets
- Talk about student organizations that you and your friends are involved with
- If you have an event coming up (a performance or game or showcase or whatnot), it’s OK to promote it as long as you balance it with other content
- Reference official university accounts and the departments related to your course of study
- Reminisce on your favorite moments in the #MasonNation
- Discuss your favorite parts about attending George Mason University
- Include appropriate pictures! Carefully selected images can look great on a Twitter feed! Make sure that the photos are good quality (not blurry)
I herby consent to and authorize the use and reproduction, in print or electronic format, by George Mason University, or anyone authorized by George Mason University, of any and all tweets, photographs, and videos I have produced for the account (@GeorgeMasonU), or shared as part of the Mason Nation Program (“program”), for any publicity, without compensation.
I understand by participating in this program that all images, text, and video are owned by George Mason University, which may publish them or use them in any professional manner, including, but not limited to: print publications, University websites, podcasting, social, and broadcasting media.
I herby acknowledge that I am 18 year of age or older, and have read and understand the terms of this release and the guidelines of this program.
Email: Cell Phone Number: